[kde-linux] Thought in desperation

Gmail lars.koraeus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:19:35 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009 07:25:20 Dale wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
> > Gmail posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:37:30 +0800 as excerpted:
> >> I know we might have the wrong distribution but we use the same base for
> >> our office computers as for all our developed embedded systems. We have
> >> used SuSE and now openSUSE for more than 10 years now. From time to time
> >> we look at other distributions, but no.
> >
> > That's an impressive lot of stuff you have running on SuSE and KDE...
> >
> > I'm about to ask a question that could be taken the wrong way.  Please
> > don't.  As much as you're doing with FLOSS, you should be held up as a
> > success story for the community, not criticized for it, regardless of
> > what the details are.
> > << SNIP >>
> >
> > I do expect that by 4.5, kde4 will be getting finally comparable to kde3
> > in usefulness and availability of kde-based non-core apps, and by 4.6, I
> > fully expect they'll be on the way toward leaving the competition in the
> > dust, but unfortunately, that /does/ leave a 1.5-2 year gap between when
> > kde dropped its own support for the still-working kde3, and a /really/
> > usable and comparable kde4.  That gap is a huge problem!  Fortunately
> > there are a few options, but they certainly don't compare well to simply
> > supporting the old version until the new one is a working (not just
> > playing) replacement for it.
>
> I'm not running a business off Linux or anything, just my little home
> system but I do understand where Lars is coming from.  Basically his
> point is this, he's trying to run a business with a GUI that is not
> working yet or has buggy software.  I run Gentoo here and Gentoo gets
> its sources from KDE.  I just updated KDE 4 yesterday and went to check
> on some things to see if it was usable just for my normal home use.  It
> still has things that are not working that I have to have.  I'm back to
> KDE 3.5 because it is a GUI that I can do my normal everyday things with
> and not have to work around bugs and broken stuff.
>
> I also think the point that Lars is trying to make is this, don't take
> away what works just fine and then replace it with something that
> doesn't and just expect people to wait until it does.  It appears to me
> that Lars is trying to run a business with his computer.  The payroll
> doesn't stop just because KDE 4 still has some bugs to work out and
> features to work on.  Lars needs computers and a desktop that works not
> just a promise for the future.
>
> Does anyone remember when Microsoft released a service pack that brought
> millions of computers to a slow crawl?  Does anyone remember what that
> cost companies that couldn't get their work done?  For me at least,
> Linux should be better than that.  I would love to see people using
> Linux because it is better and because the developers are more careful
> with their releases.  When that happened, I would never have dreamed
> that anything Linux would do the same as Microsoft.  It appears to me
> [...]
Yes we are big supporter of Linux.
But  think that was the reason for my disappointment.
Compared with other Linux projects KDE seems to have a poor project
organisation or it has gone so big so it has run out of control.
I think KDE should have clear and open roadmap as IE open SUSE have with
milestones and release candidates. Focus on the main issues and applications
and keep everything else out in a contrib land. Don't drop packages until
their new successor have been accepted.

If you have a mainstream package with all its included apps. See to that all
this apps are ready and included also in the next release. If you have doubts
about a project then push i into the contribute area instead. Then we all know
if it is a supported base app or a contrib.

And please tell me. I have always had worries about Qt. Qt is not an open
source. Does this not make KDE future a little shaky? Nokia's interest lies in
small "personal" mobile devices. Will it convert KDE to single user
desktop/PC.
IE we have lost dual head. Now we went back to  use iceVM and fvwm for them.
What a difference in speed it makes.

I also do blame myself a little that I did get too lazy and not did follow up
the KDE development but complain afterwards.

Might be I am on a wrong KDE list.

My company is in China, a MS-land.
Yes my guy's do error reporting. I myself is trying to track down an install
problem When you install a new openSUSE in a new and clean 64 bits computer.
This is not a KDE problem but the auto install after the first boot wipe out
passwd, Shadow and group files instead of update them.

/Lars