[kde-linux] kwin - X - opengl

Rajat Rajput rajputrajat at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 13:37:59 UTC 2009

No complaints with kwin or X....
I am just trying to understand how kwin - X - opengl work...

The other day I was running stellarium on my machine - kubunu 9.04 with latest KDE trunk (two weeks old)...
I found it was running at around 20 FPS....

But when I run stellarium on windows 7 on the same machine...
I was getting 30 FPS....

I know that currently intel linux driver is changing a lot.... so lower FPS can be excused....

To check how much difference kwin composite makes...I disabled the composite... now it was 30 FPS....

then I thought, if I change the windows 7 theme to basic (without 3d effects) I should get more frame rate...
but there was no difference in FPS...

that means composite effects in windows 7 do not affect the HW acceleration of the application running on it,
but on kwin - X, it affects quite badly...

can anybody explain me - why is this happening... ?

Thanks a lot,
Rajat.