[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 2 06:15:35 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Loughner wrote:

>>> I am also on the Gentoo lists and some of them have went to Fluxbox.
>>>  From what they have wrote, it has improved a lot but is still really
>>> light.  It may be something you want to look into if Gnome is not what
>>> you want either.
>>>
>>> For me, KDE 4 still has some things that don't work for me.  It gets
>>> better each time a new update comes out but is still not there.  I will
>>> say this tho, it is different.  You are dead on with that observation.
>>> It's not KDE 3 with improvements or a few tweaks.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)
>>>

>> Odd I got used to it right away. Running Suse 11.2. Took about a day and
>> a half. It does thing you could not  possible do in 3.5. I have
>> configured 4 "desktops"  One as the traditional desktop, another as my
>> home directory, another into my development directory, the last is still
>> a blank canvass. I like it though it is definitely different.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Well, the issues I ran into were discussed here.  There wasn't a way to
> fix them with the current state of KDE 4, not that we could find
> anyway.  I'm not saying that KDE 4 is bad because it is not, it's just
> that some of the "features" I need are not working yet.  As soon as
> those things get sorted out so that I can do my everyday things, I'll
> most likely be on KDE 4.
>
> I will also say, as I have said before, there is a lot that I like about
> KDE 4.  I'm not sure how well my old puter is going to like it but it
> looks OK to me.  May have to get a newer video card for this ole thing.

Maybe not, if you set KDE4 to lose all the eye candy. I have booted some
Live Linux CDs with KDE4 on my 4+ year old Celeron laptop (stuck with
the old Intel 8xx series video hardware) and the video hardware handles
it fine if the eye candy is either turned off or very conservatively set.

LXDE runs very well on the old hardware. So does Fluxbox.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community