[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 03:12:17 UTC 2009

James Loughner wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 07:00 AM, Dale wrote:
>
>> Stan Goodman wrote:

>>> Sure. I'll also try GNOME on openSuSE. What I will avoid doing is making a
>>> second career out of trying to undo KDE's foolishness.
>>>
>>> And no, I don't think it is a matter of either users or KDE4 being ready.
>>> It's more a reflection of losing sight of convenience and usability, and
>>> concentrating on bells-and-whistles -- ala Redmond (what a good name for
>>> a desktop theme).
>>>

>> I am also on the Gentoo lists and some of them have went to Fluxbox.
>>  From what they have wrote, it has improved a lot but is still really
>> light.  It may be something you want to look into if Gnome is not what
>> you want either.
>>
>> For me, KDE 4 still has some things that don't work for me.  It gets
>> better each time a new update comes out but is still not there.  I will
>> say this tho, it is different.  You are dead on with that observation.
>> It's not KDE 3 with improvements or a few tweaks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Odd I got used to it right away. Running Suse 11.2. Took about a day and
> a half. It does thing you could not  possible do in 3.5. I have
> configured 4 "desktops"  One as the traditional desktop, another as my
> home directory, another into my development directory, the last is still
> a blank canvass. I like it though it is definitely different.
>
> Jim

Well, the issues I ran into were discussed here.  There wasn't a way to
fix them with the current state of KDE 4, not that we could find
anyway.  I'm not saying that KDE 4 is bad because it is not, it's just
that some of the "features" I need are not working yet.  As soon as
those things get sorted out so that I can do my everyday things, I'll
most likely be on KDE 4.

I will also say, as I have said before, there is a lot that I like about
KDE 4.  I'm not sure how well my old puter is going to like it but it
looks OK to me.  May have to get a newer video card for this ole thing.

Dale

:-)  :-)