[kde-linux] Sleeping Display

Leslie Rhorer lrhorer at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 31 03:42:31 UTC 2009

	Why would the Gnome screensaver be active when I'm running KDE?  The
following output when I run the preferences command makes me think it isn't,
as well:

lrhorer at AlarmClock:~$ gnome-screensaver-preferences
** (gnome-screensaver-preferences:3057): DEBUG: Found best visual for GL:
0x25

** (gnome-power-preferences:3062): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get
owner of name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-preferences:3062): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon
responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?
lrhorer at AlarmClock:~$

	Finally, the fact I set the screen saver for 2 minutes and the power
management for 6 minutes in the Gnome screensaver configuration, but nothing
happens after 2 or 6 minutes pretty much confirms it.

> or from  the menu  system -> preferences -> Screensaver

	There is no such thing under KDE, or at least not this version (or
any other I have used).  In KDE, the screensaver is in the Control Center
under Appearance & Themes => Screensaver.  There is no utility to
specifically disable the screensaver, but there is a checkbox labeled "Start
Automatically" which is not checked.  As I said, however, I actually prefer
that the system is blanking the screen, and I don't particularly care what
process is doing it.

> There you can enable or disable the screen saver, and you can also do
> other
> settings like what should happen if you close the lid, and various
> other power settings.

	Aside from the fact this is KDE, not Gnome, there is no lid.  I
explicitly said in my e-mail this is a Dell GX-270 desktop system, not a
laptop.

> As far as makeing the screen saver wake up without user intervention,
> I don't know ....    If your keyboard can send back some key code upon
> receipt of some escape sequence, then it might be possible to wake up
> the screen saver. Ditto with the mouse.

	I suppose I could try sending characters to the mouse or keyboard
interface to see what happens.

> I wonder if output to the screen could alert the screen saver to expose
> the screen again???

	It might, but it would require an active session on the desktop, and
there isn't one.  It's possible sending characters to stdout of a minimized
window might work.  I'll have to try it.