[kde-linux] Sleeping Display

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 02:08:16 UTC 2009

On 08/30/2009 06:55 PM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> List members,
>
> 	I have a system which is set to hibernate the console display after
> a time. I need to be able to wake the display back up without anyone hitting
> a key or moving the mouse. Is there a way to programmatically wake up the
> desktop from a shell script?  It only needs to work for one user (the
> default automatic login on the console), and only when that user is logged
> on to the console.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
>
> 	Actually, I'm not sure why the display hibernates at all.  It's
> rather puzzling as the screen saver is disabled (or at least I think it is -
> I don't see a setting which specifically disables it, and I haven't selected
> one in the screensaver settings window), and I have power management shut
> off.  I don't mind the fact the screen blanks, however, as long as I can
> control it and cause the screen to come to life without pressing a key.  In
> fact, I prefer the screen to blank after a period of inactivity, but I need
> to wake the screen when certain events occur.
>
> 	I'm running KDE 3.5.10 under Debian "Lenny" Linux on kernel
> 2.6.26-2-686 on a Dell GX-270 compact desktop.

 From the shell, run
gnome-screensaver-preferences

or from  the menu  system -> preferences -> Screensaver

There you can enable or disable the screen saver, and you can also do other
settings like what should happen if you close the lid, and various
other power settings.

As far as makeing the screen saver wake up without user intervention,
I don't know ....    If your keyboard can send back some key code upon
receipt of some escape sequence, then it might be possible to wake up
the screen saver. Ditto with the mouse.

I wonder if output to the screen could alert the screen saver to expose
the screen again???