[kde-linux] 20090429KL -- Dealing With An ISO Image

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Wed Apr 29 19:35:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 13:36, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Wednesday 29 April 2009 19:42:00 schrieb Bruce MacArthur:
> > Greetings --
> >
> > I downloaded the Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE) 9.04 DVD i386 ISO.  I
> > copied it to a USB thumb-drive -- since my DVD-drives are not
> > functioning as I think they should.  Left-clicking launches K3B --
> > which refuses to recognize the thumb-drive.  I realize that I must
> > "burn" the ISO in order to use it, but I do not yet see how to
> > "burn" it to the thumb-drive!  I suspect that what is needed is
> > "obvious" -- to the world minus me!  Assistance, as possible, will
> > be MUCH appreciated!!!
>
> well, basically, you have to make your usb stick bootable, install a
> bootloader (grub) on it and copy the contents from your iso file
> correctly - see
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575406&highlight=create+boot
>able+usb+stick+from+iso+image
>
> HTH
>
> werner

Thank you, Werner!  It just so happens (although I had NOT stated this!)
that the thumb-drive / usb-stick is formatted ext2 bootable.  I have a
very recent copy of SuperGrub, but have not yet copied it (back!) to
the thumb-drive.  I have (VERY briefly) reviewed the extensive
information on the web-site for which you kindly supplied a link.  I
saw LOTS of VERY valuable information -- but I did not (yet!) spot the
information on getting the ISO workably onto the thumb-drive.  I trust
that this is due to how rapidly I tried to scan so much information.

I notice that there is a suggestion to use ext2 for SuperGRUB and ext3
for all other files; that IS "interesting" to consider -- and, I
suspect, very wise if the full OS is going to be operational on the
thumb-drive itself.

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur