[kde-linux] Fwd: Noatun and Kaboodle don't work

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Sun Apr 19 16:31:11 UTC 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009 09:04:32 Thorsten Pferdekämper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since the upgrade to Debian Lenny, Noatun and Kaboodle stopped working.
> There are different symptoms and I am not sure how to recreate which of
> them. The only thing I can recreate is that they never play my videos. It
> does not matter which codecs and file format (AVI, MPG,...) I try. Both
> programs...
>
>  - either not start at all (the program's icon is jumping around for a
> while and then it stops without starting the program itself.
>  - or they start, but then freeze immediately,
>  - or they start and the slider chops forward in steps of about 3 seconds
> without actually showing any part of the video or playing any part of the
> music.
>
> I have already tested the KDE sound system which works and I'm also able to
> play my videos with other players like mplayer.
>
> Here is a bit technical information:
>
> KDE release: 3.5.10
>
> noatun -v shows:
> 	Qt: 3.3.8b
> 	KDE: 3.5.10
> 	Noatun: 2.10.0
>
> kaboodle -v shows:
> 	Qt: 3.3.8b
> 	KDE: 3.5.10
> 	Kaboodle: 1.7
>
> uname -a
> 	Linux zeus 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP
>

> I must confess that I am not sure if this is really a KDE issue, but I
> currently don't know where to ask. Maybe someone could at least give me
> some hint what I could check.
>
> Thanks&Regards,
> 	Thorsten

Never having used noatun, I thought I would try it.  The man page works,
but  "noatun" alone or "noatun betty.mp3" just returns a command prompt.
What should happen?

Using kubuntu 8.04

noatun -v
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.10
Noatun: 2.10.0

 uname -a
Linux blacky 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:47:28 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

bruce