[kde-linux] removing the stock ~home folders

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 8 21:19:07 UTC 2009

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> When I upgraded to KDE 3.5.10 a number of folders were created in ~home for
> default locations for various types of files: Documents, Download, Movies,
> Music, Pictures, Templates, and Videos. I don't use them and don't want
> to. I have seen them referenced in File dialogs, KDE and non-KDE. Is it
> safe to delete them? Do I have to adjust any config files if I do?

Actually, that isn't KDE but rather the xdg-user-dirs package.  If you
reconfigure it not to create these directories, you will need to
reconfigure KDE (depending on the version that you are using).  In the
KDE 4.x Control Center (System Settings) under "About Me" there are
paths.  These all need to point to directories that exist.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch