[kde-linux] Debian 5.0, KDE: getting konqueror to open links from kmail in the background (and not interfere with other behaviors)

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:09:06 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 02:07:30 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've done some testing.  There are two separate issues here.  The
> first, and, I think, the most important, is that clicking on a link
> in a mail message should use a new tab rather than a new window,
> assuming that you have set the preference for that.  This is
> definitely either a distro or version problem, so there is no point
> in raising a bug report with kde - and probably not with your distro
> unless that is likely to chivvy them into updating your packages.

That first part of the problem is not a problem--that works--the
configuration settings to do that are fairly easy to find.

> Then there is the issue of whether it gets focus.  To be honest, I
> thought it always did, but if you feel strongly about this you should
> raise a bug report.

It definitely did not get the focus in Mandriva2006.  (I don't think I
had to tweak anything to get that behavior, but it was long enough ago
that I may have forgotten some tweaking.)

> It is usually recommended that you file  bug
> report with your distro.  They check whether it is a package issue,
> and either pass it upstream to kde if they think appropriate or ask
> you to file a bug upstream.

Thanks--I'm still thinking--I would feel more comfortable raising it as
a Debian issue if someone using kde 3.5.10 in another distro got the
old behavior that I prefer.

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.