[kde-linux] Debian 5.0, KDE: getting konqueror to open links from kmail in the background (and not interfere with other behaviors)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 18:07:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 04:09:39 Randy Kramer wrote:
> There is a konqueror setting to open a link as a tab in the
> background--it works in Debian 5.0 when you click on a link in a
> konqueror tab.  But, even though the other setting says to open
> external links (which I presume means links clicked on in, for example,
> kmail) as tabs instead of new windows, doing so brings that instance of
> konqueror to the foreground.  On Mandriva2006, it left that instance of
> konqueror in the background, which is the behavior I am trying to
> achieve.

I've done some testing.  There are two separate issues here.  The first, and,
I think, the most important, is that clicking on a link in a mail message
should use a new tab rather than a new window, assuming that you have set the
preference for that.  This is definitely either a distro or version problem,
so there is no point in raising a bug report with kde - and probably not with
your distro unless that is likely to chivvy them into updating your packages.

The reason I say this is that on Mandriva 2009 it opens a new window, whereas
on Fedora 10 which is more up to date on packages it opens a second link in a
new tab.

Then there is the issue of whether it gets focus.  To be honest, I thought it
always did, but if you feel strongly about this you should raise a bug report.
It is usually recommended that you file  bug report with your distro.  They
check whether it is a package issue, and either pass it upstream to kde if
they think appropriate or ask you to file a bug upstream.