[kde-linux] K3B won't burn right?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Sep 14 03:07:40 UTC 2008

Gaffer. wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Friday 12 September 2008 10:09, david wrote:
>> Rex Dieter wrote:
>>> I'm 99% certain it's not k3b, afaict, it doesn't have code or
>>> access to do that.
>> My guess is that burning is a more resource intensive and time
>> sensitive thing than reading. So a PC with slightly marginal
>> hardware components might be able to handle reading with no
>> problems, but start to stumble when burning. The kernel appears to
>> be monitoring such things, and maybe takes protective action when
>> it detects increased failures on the DMA/IDE/SATA bus. Perhaps one
>> of those protective actions is to turn off DMA, or whatever other
>> bus feature that might be triggering problems.
>>
>> Also wonder what speed the device bus is running at. On all of my
>> systems, I've never budged from the default 33MHz, even on machines
>> that had 66MHz bus speeds. Does that make a difference?
>>
>> Also, burning involves the drive's hardware in a way different from
>> reading - any burn protection feature it might have. Perhaps
>> there's something going on connected with that?
>>
>> I don't know, my limited hardware geekery was long ago when busses
>> and timing issues were much more challenging. Burning CDs used to
>> produce a lot of coasters, even with hardware and media that were
>> nominally good.
>>
>> Just WAGging around here.
>
> Your notes are interesting !  Particularly the comments regarding the
> bus speed.  Like you, I have never seen anything different than
> 33Mhz.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot test K3B on my other machine under similar
> conditions since that one is all SCSI !  I can and have burnt the
> same ISO on it though.  I did the same one twice without any change
> in time for both burns.  Which is what I would expect from SCSI
> drives.

My first CD burner was SCSI. On a Pentium 133. With Windows 3.1, I
think. Burned disks just fine at it's blazing 4x speed. ;-)

> As a side issue a DVD will not verify unless the "Eject after burn" is
> turned off on that machine either.  I originally ignored verifying
> failures thinking that it had something to do with the machine being
> all SCSI.  I've never had a bad burn on that machine either !  Having
> said that I've not had a bad burn on this one yet.

My laptop's burner has decided to go out, so I'm going to try to
cannibalize the burner from my wife's old laptop and see if that works
better. I don't believe we ever burned a CD on her laptop!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community