[kde-linux] Status of KDE 4.1.2?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 07:45:17 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2008 08:20:54 david wrote:
>> Beso wrote:

>>> what do you mean by speaking of full functionality?!
>> Just based on what I read posted here - applications that don't work,
>
> 'Applications that don't work' are often 'applications that don't work in this
> distro' or 'in this version'.  If I'd seen the distro I'm using at this moment
> first, I'd probably feel the same, but I've got many broken apps here that I
> have working under KDE 4 on different boxes, with different distros.

That seems to me be just another indicator that KDE4 wasn't ready for
release. I've had KDE4 one many distros, on several different boxes, and
the only consistent problems I've encountered have had nothing to do
with KDE or KDE applications. (They've always been with X video drivers
or the intricacies of ALSA.) I've run Debian Lenny/Sid with some
experimental stuff tossed in, and overall had a positive and productive
time using KDE3.5

> And do remember that satisfied customers don't write about it.

True. Never said they didn't.

>> features that should work but don't. I still think they should have
>> ported 3.5.x to QT4 and gotten it working, then started playing with the
>> glitter and eye candy.
>
> You just don't get it do you?  That was an impossibility.  Many things simply
> would not port to qt4 and had to be rewritten.

Why was that? Bad design decisions by Trolltech (perhaps a conscious
decision to not provide backwards compatibility)?

> Did you use KDE3.1?

Not that I recall. I think 3.3 was my earliest encounter with straight
KDE. Don't know what version of KDE that my first distro started with -
what KDE did CorelLinux use in 1999?

> I'd guess that there were at least as many complaints as
> you are reading now.  KDE3 has had years of use after release.  Give KDE4 a
> chance.

I will. That's why I mention version numbers like KDE4.5. That should
put it on a par with KDE3.5 (in maturity level). And (hopefully) by then
all the applications will also have been shifted onto QT4. Right now, I
see no reason to do anything with KDE4.

> The devs are getting the old functionality back for you as quickly as
> possible.  Most of them do have a day job, you know.

I know that. One of my main primary applications has weird problems
under KDE4. Its (few) developers are struggling through porting it to
QT4. Some of its users have questioned why it is even dependent on KDE
in the first place (I'm not one of those folk). They see KDE
contributing no value to what they do, only needlessly consuming
resources they would rather be using for other things. Interestingly
enough, they often see the Gnome environment has just another waste of
resources, too, yet they use GUI apps. Perhaps they would rather see
apps based purely on X?

> Your sig talks about community.  Community is 'we' not 'they'

There are many communities. I'm not a developer, so I don't consider
myself part of that community, anymore than a developer would consider
me part of the developer community.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com