[kde-linux] Building plasma applets

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Nov 24 09:00:37 UTC 2008

>I have built one of my own and also the darkstat applet. Both started out
with
>the same tutorial, word for word.

>Results: Darkstat does not even show up on the add-widget menu. Mine does
show
>up but does not load ("cited as unknown"). The plasmoidviewer complains:

>findServiceByDesktopPath:  not found
>findServiceByDesktopPath:  not found

>this regardless of the name or filename I feed it.

>Has something changed since that tutorial was written?

.. and thar's the rub:

If one runs kde4-init --path for lib or services, /usr/local is NEVER
mentioned! Anything locally compiled and placed in the /usr/local tree may not
be found by apps like kbuildsyscoca or plasmoidviewer. How the heck I got my
applet on the add applet menu is indeed a mystery since NO other applet I
compiled and installed to /usr/loca/.... appears, nada.

I am not thrilled about having to install to /usr but many other local
installs, erroneously or deliberately do so, and this may be the only way to
use these applets or test mine (which currently crashes the viewer without
doing much more than trying to put up an icon right now--at least I can
attempt to LOAD it).

File a bug in kde4-init OR other objects?