[kde-linux] Folders with all capital letters not copied

Bruce Miller subscribe at brmiller.ca
Mon Nov 3 01:41:45 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Nathan <nathan at paysonlinux.org>
To: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems <kde-linux at kde.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:27:54 PM
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Folders with all capital letters not copied

> #!/bin/bash -u
> # back-up home directory to a specific pendrive identified in /etc/fstab by its UUID
>
> cd
> mount /media/pendrive
> rsync -Cvrtz --modify-window=1 /home/bruce/Documents /media/pendrive/
> rsync -Cvrtz --modify-window=1 /home/bruce/configs /media/pendrive/
> rsync -Cvrtz --modify-window=1 --exclude=**jar --exclude=blogbridge** --exclude=OmegaT** --exclude=bitext2tmx-1.0M0-080229** /home/bruce/bin /media/pendrive/
> rsync -Cvrtz --modify-window=1 /media/pendrive/Documents  /home/bruce/
>
> cd ~/Documents
> find . -perm -0750 -and -not -type d -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
> umount /media/pendrive

What if instead of copying everything, you just create a tar file then move the tar file to the pendrive? When you extract the files you can preserve the attributes... Since you are using a script it should be painless.

___________________
Reply:

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of issues, however:
1. rsync was designed by the Samba team from the ground up to be a very fast, highly efficient incremental copy tool.
2.
it is the vfat aka FAT32 filesystem, designed by Microsoft, which
pollutes the attributes, not the copying process. The use of tar would not solve anything. Since I attend a
militantly Microsoft-centric institution :-( and am in a field where
the best-of-breed software that I have so far discovered is written for
Windows :-(, I need to use a filesystem on my pendrive which Microsoft
OSs can read. Pendrives typically are sold formatted in FAT32.