[kde-linux] Can't change modifier-key mapping in 3.5.9

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 29 08:43:34 UTC 2008

David J Iannucci wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just created a new install of KDE 3.5.9 under Gentoo.  One of the
> first things I usually do is swap my control and caps-lock keys, because
> I like it that way :-)  I found that the keyboard modification part of
> the settings app has been changed a bit.  I find it here, of course:
>
>   Settings > Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts >
>      Modifier Keys (tab)
>
> However I can't change the X modifier keys mapping.   I've tried double
> clicking, right clicking - everything I can think of, but it seems these
> settings are locked, somehow.
>
> Can someone tell me what's going on with this, or if I'm barking up
> the wrong tree?

It appears to be broken.

You can file a bug report.

You can probably make the changes directly in X.

In xorg.conf, uncomment the 3rd line shown below:

# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
     Option "XkbOptions"  "ctrl:swapcaps"

All keys can be changed in X.  The method for this has changed so you
need to read the documentation or a TLDP how to.

--
JRT