[kde-linux] Problems with Kaffeine

Rosalind Mitchell rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk
Mon May 26 17:13:09 UTC 2008

When I try to play a DVD with Kaffeine, I frequently get an error message:

This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to install
libdvdcss by running from a console:
sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh. In some countries it is illegal
to install the decryption software without permission from the video
copyright holder.

But I already have libdvdcss2, and w64codecs, installed (I'm running KDE over
64-bit Ubuntu Hardy).  In any case, this isn't consistent.  Or at least, I'm
sure it's consistent but I haven't discerned the pattern yet.  Sometimes if I
reboot, Kaffeine works fine.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?  And if so, is there anything I
can do?  I never had this problem with Kaffeine under any version of Ubuntu
before Hardy, or indeed with earlier versions of Mandriva and SuSE that I
used.

Rosie

--
Currently reading: The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Enitharmon's Cave: http://enitharmon.wordpress.com