[kde-linux] recommended books?

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 16:58:12 UTC 2008

I've always found the TLDP (http://www.tldp.org/) a good place to search for howtos on different issues.
May be it would help you too.

I didn't read something about the competence level, but I think it should be distinguiished between beginners and advanced users.

Even a beginner should know some basic stuff about computers and the way they work - it always helps.

As about KDE it is a desktop as every other desktop and it has a good documentation. So once you are familiar working with files and different programs it shouldn't be a problem to switch to KDE. The nice thing here is that you have much more features, applications etc for free compared to distributions like MacOS or WindowsOS.

So my advice to anyone who starts is to start with:
1) basic computer knowledge,
2) operating system knowledge,
3) graphical user interface (i.e. X windows) knowledge,
4) desktop knowledge,
5) application knowledge.

The questions at each level are:
a) what are the basic components
b) how they work
c) how you can configure them
d) how you can make them work for you

I find it useful to take the problem oriented approach. It means if something is not working, or you don't know how it works, then investigate this issue.

I also like books (hard copy books), so I can recommend O'Raily series. It is not a comercial, I just like their books.
Actually I started with 2 books about linux and unix. The linux one was from O'Reily and the unix one from the university I was studying at. Later I bought few other O'Raily books and was not disappointed.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards

well, i've found google, the various wikis and the forums to be much more
instructive than any book. at least for 80-90% of the stuff one needs. also
books tend to put inside a lot of stuff that is more or less useless so that
to put more pages and to have the cost levitated.
some examples are:

http://wiki.kde.org/

http://www.kde-forum.org/