[kde-linux] KDE 4.0.3 "Unable to load library" problem

Erbureth Erbureth at seznam.cz
Wed May 7 00:18:18 UTC 2008

------------ Původní zpráva ------------
Od: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org>
Předmět: Re: [kde-linux] KDE 4.0.3 "Unable to load library" problem
Datum: 06.5.2008 06:57:13
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I just have compiled KDE 4.0.3 from source using guide
 > > on http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4
 > > with few differences. (I used KDE 4.0.3 packed sources
 > > instead of SVN repository and modified cmakekdeall
 > > function a little - .bashrc is included in this post)
 > >
 > > However, something probably went bad and I wasn't able
 > > to load some applets and configuration modules.
 > > (It complained about missing libraries.) So I
 > > tried to recompile whole KDE, with even worse result,
 > > no modules seems to be loaded, not even Plasma and
 > > Kicker. Could you please give me at least a hint, where
 > > the problem could be? I searched forums and mailing lists,
 > > without results.

 > I hate canned instructions because when they don't work, you have no
 > idea where to start.

 > IIUC, you built KDE-4.0.3 using the instructions for building KDE TRUNK.
 >  This doesn't seem like the best idea. :-)  Especially because the
 > dependencies for the two ARE NOT the same. :-(

According to guide, it is usable for both stable and trunk release,
they only mention difference in Qt version (i have 4.3., which is what they recommend)

 > IAC, did you read any of my blurb:

 > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.0

 > ??

I have not read it before, so I did now. You have an example .bash_profile, so I
have compared it to my .bashrc (included in my original post along the build logs) and
only difference I saw was about XDG paths. I do not quite understand it, could you
please comment it?

 > My distro is LFS (Linux From Scratch) so I only felt qualified to list
 > the dependencies for it:

 > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS

I was using dependencies for my distro on

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Kubuntu_and_Debian

hope its the same :)

 > I have a political problem here.  I think that there are errors in the
 > instructions to build KDE 4 TRUNK but I can't write a blurb saying that
 > they are wrong.

 > Back to your installation.

 > Where did you install KDE-4.0.3?  It needs to go in a private directory.

I installed it to /home/kde-devel/kde

 > Are you running KDE-4.0.3 from a user account dedicated to that purpose?
Yes, I use dedicated user account kde-devel, as advised in the tutorial.

 > Note that I list a *lot* of environment variables that need to be set.

 > I think that your specific problem is that you don't have
 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH set correctly.

  I set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH according to tutorial in my .bashrc file (included in my origial post along the build logs)

 > --
 > JRT

Thank you for your comments

Erbureth