[kde-linux] KDE 4.0.3 "Unable to load library" problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 6 04:56:11 UTC 2008

Erbureth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just have compiled KDE 4.0.3 from source using guide
> on http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4
> with few differences. (I used KDE 4.0.3 packed sources
> instead of SVN repository and modified cmakekdeall
> function a little - .bashrc is included in this post)
>
> However, something probably went bad and I wasn't able
> to load some applets and configuration modules.
> (It complained about missing libraries.) So I
> tried to recompile whole KDE, with even worse result,
> no modules seems to be loaded, not even Plasma and
> Kicker. Could you please give me at least a hint, where
> the problem could be? I searched forums and mailing lists,
> without results.

I hate canned instructions because when they don't work, you have no
idea where to start.

IIUC, you built KDE-4.0.3 using the instructions for building KDE TRUNK.
  This doesn't seem like the best idea. :-)  Especially because the
dependencies for the two ARE NOT the same. :-(

IAC, did you read any of my blurb:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.0

??

My distro is LFS (Linux From Scratch) so I only felt qualified to list
the dependencies for it:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS

I have a political problem here.  I think that there are errors in the
instructions to build KDE 4 TRUNK but I can't write a blurb saying that
they are wrong.

Back to your installation.

Where did you install KDE-4.0.3?  It needs to go in a private directory.

Are you running KDE-4.0.3 from a user account dedicated to that purpose?

Note that I list a *lot* of environment variables that need to be set.

I think that your specific problem is that you don't have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set correctly.

--
JRT