[kde-linux] 'End Session' problem

M K overlord_3d at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 11:38:15 UTC 2008

 > Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> FWIW, I encountered that same black blank screen when I logged out last
> >> night. (I boot to a text login, login, then use startx to bring up KDE.)
> >> I have "splash=verbose" set - it does make a difference, but isn't a
> >> complete cure. I do mount some network shares, but not in fstab - I
> >> mount them via SMB4K, and always manually unmount them before I shutdown.
> >>
> >> I think it's related to video drivers, but that could be because I
> >> always see error messages from X (trying to use some feature of an Intel
> >> chipset that doesn't exist on this laptop) after I close the session and
> >> return to the command line.
> >
> > I've never seen such error messages.  <sigh> It's most likely to be a
> > combination of factors, and that makes it very difficult to trace.
>
> Well, on my laptop, the KDM login screen comes up looking as if X
> thought the screen was 10 times larger than it actually easy ... so I
> disabled KDM. A text login screen works for me, and would probably freak
> out any Windows user who tried to start up my laptop. ;-) So there are
> probably a lot of factors around to make things difficult to trace.

Yeah, the factors are always the point... as Germans say, "the devil is always in the detail" <sigh like Anne> ;).
Well, there is indeed about a dozen of mounted NFS shares - all the user accounts etc., from about 5 servers. Unfortunately, not to avoid... I think, the problem is the NVIDIA driver, too - and a kinda genius who I know has the same opinion. Are there maybe any other drivers I could try out on a GeForce 7300, except of the proprietary from the NVIDIA page?

Btw, thanks for not throwing with things at me :-)