[kde-linux] 'End Session' problem

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 21:30:51 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2008 20:59:28 david wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Do you have any remote shares mounted?  I thought that I was getting the
>>> problem again, but I found that there is a long (20-30 seconds?) delay on
>>> a black screen, then shutdown continues.  I'm not certain, but I believe
>>> this relates to the shares I mount in fstab.  I suspect that shutdown is
>>> waiting for something to either shut down or signal that it's no longer
>>> busy.
>>>
>>> Of course your case might be something completely different :-)
>> FWIW, I encountered that same black blank screen when I logged out last
>> night. (I boot to a text login, login, then use startx to bring up KDE.)
>> I have "splash=verbose" set - it does make a difference, but isn't a
>> complete cure. I do mount some network shares, but not in fstab - I
>> mount them via SMB4K, and always manually unmount them before I shutdown.
>>
>> I think it's related to video drivers, but that could be because I
>> always see error messages from X (trying to use some feature of an Intel
>> chipset that doesn't exist on this laptop) after I close the session and
>> return to the command line.
>
> I've never seen such error messages.  <sigh> It's most likely to be a
> combination of factors, and that makes it very difficult to trace.

Well, on my laptop, the KDM login screen comes up looking as if X
thought the screen was 10 times larger than it actually easy ... so I
disabled KDM. A text login screen works for me, and would probably freak
out any Windows user who tried to start up my laptop. ;-) So there are
probably a lot of factors around to make things difficult to trace.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community