[kde-linux] kde4 performance, was: Cannot access certain site

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 29 13:30:29 UTC 2008

giuseppe gran wrote:
> 2008/3/29, Werner Joss <werner at hoernerfranzracing.de>:
>
>> Am Samstag, 29. März 2008 09:04:14 schrieb david:
>>  > Why? From what I've seen of KDE4, its new rendering requires far more
>>  > video horsepower than any computer I own.
>>
>>  unfortunately, this is reality.
>>  kde4 really turned my 2 computers (both > 2 GHz, 512+ MB RAM, on board
>>  intel/sis graphics - ultra-fast and responsive under kde 3.5.x) into slugs,
>>  reminding my of the days when I ran kde 2.0 on a 300 mhz, 64 MB AMD.
>>  and this is the _real_ reason why I don't use it currently.
>>  I hope this situation will improve soon (with qt 4.4 ?).
>>  otherwise, kde4 will only be useable for those with high end graphics cards.
>>
>>  werner
>>

> Hi,
> i tested many times KDE 4. Now i'm using it in OpenSuSE 10.3 and i've
> noticed that with my hardware (GenuineIntel 2400 Mhz, 768 MB ram,
> nVidia GeForce 5600 FX) it is faster than KDE 3.5.x... Is strange that
> with yours hardware it lags... maybe it want more ram?

I had KDE4 for a bit just to see what it was going to look like and it
was a good bit faster here too.  Maybe there is something different that
you are doing that makes yours slower??  My rig is about 5 years old.
Video card is a Nvidia FX-5200.   Not a really fast card now either but
it works fine.

Dale

:-)  :-)