[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Mar 29 09:56:07 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, david wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 March 2008, david wrote:
> >> http://fiercestreetnetworks.com/
> >>
> >> But it still doesn't work right in Konqueror, while being perfectly
> >> valid code that works in every other browser.
> >
> > You know that the site sends different output to Konqueror than to
> > firefox, right?
>
> How can I determine that?

I did "view source" in both browsers, saved the soures and used diff

> > Now, why would a "perfectly valid" site do that?
>
> I don't know - why don't you ask them? I can't imagine why someone would
>   bother sending any special coding to Konqueror.

Usually because they send special versions to browsers they know and crap to
anyone else, instead of sending standard compliant output to everyone and
have exceptions for prolematic browsers such as IE:

> The code they send to Firefox and the W3C validator is perfectly-valid
> HTML and CSS. Conditional comments for IE are also valid code - they're
> just HTML comments interpreted a particular way by IE browsers.

Have you checked the version they send to Konqueror?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring