[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sat Mar 29 09:16:56 UTC 2008

Am Samstag, 29. März 2008 10:00:19 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> Just a thought.  Several distros have done snapshot releases with kde4
> running as a live CD or DVD.  The one I have is Fedora, and is quite old
> now.  KDE4 is far from complete, but certainly enough for you to see it on
> your hardware.  Of course, the fact that it is running from removable disk
> inevitably means that it's slow

sure - but that mostly affects only application startup time.
once loaded, there shouldn't be much difference in speed/responsiveness in
comparison to a real harddisk-installation.
in addition, I have tried both, with similar results:
as an example, if I do an 'ls -l /usr/bin' in konsole, kde 3.5, the output is
as fast that I just can't follow it - woosh ...
in kde4, the lines are just creeping over the screen, one by one...
and this is what drives me nuts :-[

werner
p.s.:
all the above implies all 3d/special effects/fancy stuff turned off (which I
wouldn't care of, anyways)