[kde-linux] restoring from backup in Konqueror (and Firefox on KDE)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 10:20:33 UTC 2008

Dale wrote:

> When I copy user generated files, I always use the -a option since it
> retains all file settings including permission, ownership, group etc
> etc.  You may want to check who owns the files and what group owns
> them.  I suspect one or both of those has changed.

I just moved my wife's /home folder from her dying PCLinuxOS laptop to
her new KUbuntu laptop - just tarred up the folder, untarred it onto her
laptop, ran chown to reset the ownerships - and everything came over
just fine. Mail (Thunderbird), Firefox, Konqueror, some (not all)
OpenOffice settings, desktop preferences and links, wallpaper, Kopete
settings, etc.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com