[kde-linux] beginner question; installating Open Office language package

sf2rio sf2rio at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 19:14:54 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie and I have a question about installing an
Open Office language pack.

I need to be able to produce documents in Arabic. I
have already configured my keyboard successfully, but
if I type in Arabic in Open Office 2.0, it still
writes from left to right. (Arabic goes from right to
left.) I can right flush everything but that's awkward
and I don't have any Arabic font options either. I can
open read Arabic language documents with no problem.

I have Librix 2.86 and I'm using KDE 3.5.5. Open
Office 2.0 was pre-installed on my computer.

I'm trying to install the Open Office Arabic language
package and I haven't succeeded.

I downloaded the package
"openoffice.org-l10n-ar_1.1.3-9sarge8_all.deb"
to my desktop.

In the Konsole, I typed:

cd Desktop(ENTER)
install o(TAB)(ENTER)

It told me to try "install --help" and so I did.

I guess I'm supposed to type something else to tell it
where to go before I type ENTER. I've  tried /usr/lib/
and a few other things without success. I've been
messing around with it for awhile now and it's time to
decide that I'm stuck and need help.

My questions are:

1. Have I selected the correct package to solve my
problem?

2. What is the exact syntax of the command that I need
to type in order to install the package?

3. Which directory does it go into?

Thanks for your help and sorry... yes, I feel stupid
:)

Best Wishes,

Sadakne Baroudi
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil