[kde-linux] Problem with Kmail.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:10:38 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 14:12:10 John Culleton wrote:
> I keep folders full of previous posts, particcularly the Inbox. Sometimes I
> create a new folder for a mailing list or a client, and a filter to route
> mail to it.  I want scan the Inbox folder for old posts that need to go in
> the new folder. It is convenient to just do control A followed by control
> J.
>
> This works until I get to the very end of the process. Then Kmail errors
> off with (I think) a sig 11.  When I restart Kmail the Inbox folder is
> twice its previous size.  If I delete duplicates then some of the remaining
> posts are listed correctly but when I try to read them they become blank.
> This affects older posts more than newer ones.
>
> The inbox holds about 4380 posts. I use slackware 12  which means Kmail
> 1.9.7 on KDE 3.5.7.

I'm not sure whether it's the whole of your problem, but I'd lay odds on a
corrupt index file being a good part of it.  First shut down kmail.  Locate
your inbox (likely ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail - and possible 'mail') and find
all the associated index files - usually two or three.  Delete them all.
They will be recreated when you re-start kmail.  You will have lost any that
had blanked out, but the rest should be OK.