[kde-linux] Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 12 06:36:26 UTC 2008

Phillip Pi wrote:
>>> Just a follow-up. I am starting to think this is NVIDIA's fault. I went
>>> back to nv driver by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run startx. I tried
>>> to reproduce the problem and no crash with gkrellm-hdplop plugin!
>>>
>> You may want to reinstall the driver and try it again.  Don't forget to
>> reload the module or reboot one.  May even try another version of the
>> driver too.
>>

> Reinstall? Isn't that the same as recompiling from
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run
> ? I noticed the installer removes and reinstall NVIDIA driver after it
> finishes.
>
> I posted my issue in NVIDIA's Linux form:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1589973 ... I hope
> those guys know what's up!

I was thinking it could be a corrupt file or something like that. Just
maybe.  Weird things happen.  Since I use Gentoo, it may be a bit different.

Since you narrowed it down to Nvidia causing this, that would be a good
place to post this.  Maybe someone there can reproduce the problem that
can debug it better than we can.

I hope this will get fixed soon for ya.  I hate it when their is a roach
running around in software.   ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)