[kde-linux] Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 11 07:16:56 UTC 2008

Phillip Pi wrote:

>>> I'm not sure which one but you can try to diff the files in
>>> /home/your_user>/.kde3.5/share/config/ and see what is different between
>>> that and the other account.  If you move files around, don't forget to
>>> change the permissions on the file.  I would think the owner would be
>>> the biggie.  Group may be fine.  Mine groups to users anyway.
>>>
>> Dang, there are so many config files: http://pastebin.ca/937754 (account
>> with the reproducable crash) vs. http://pastebin.ca/937757 (test
>> account without the crash). Any ideas where to start off that might be
>> suspects?
>>

> I reproduced it without KDE!!!
>
> Basically load up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
> customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
> desktop in your KDE v3.5 or Gnome v2. Then, switch to another virtual
> desktop that doesn't have GKrellM on screen.
>
> Now press ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number) to go back to console/text mode.
> For me, this results a X crash like:
> Backtrace:
> 0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
> 1: [0xffffe420]
> 2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
> 3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
> 4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
> 5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
> 6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
> 7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
> 8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
> 9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>

> If I disable this plugin, then I won't get the crash. This plugin is so
> cool to have. I am just wondering if I am the only one with this
> problem. Can anyone else please try this too? Remember this will result
> an X crash! Thanks in advance. :)

Well, at least you know what is causing it.  If you can find someone
else to reproduce it or get one of the grellm plugin folks on here, then
maybe this can be fixed.

By the way, plain gkrellm here with KDE 3.5.9 and mine switches fine.
Glad you figured that out.  Maybe you can find a workaround until it
gets fixed.

Dale

:-)  :-)