[kde-linux] Anyone using IceWM? Xinerama?

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Thu Jun 26 18:03:26 UTC 2008

I've got a new setup at work, in which I'm stretching my workspaces
across two monitors.  I had thought I needed to activate "xinerama", but
I had some trouble figuring out how to do that, and I ended up just
doing it with xrandr.  Well, my preferred environment is KDE with icewm
as window manager, but I found that icewm had trouble with this dual
monitor configuration. For example, when I tried to drag a window from
one monitor to another, it didn't want to cross the boundary.  So I've
been using kwin, but I'd like to get back to icewm...

Is anyone using icewm with this sort of configuration? Or just have any
general advice about how to make icewm integrate with KDE as well as
possible?  Or how to get "xinerama" under KDE? (if I just try to turn it
"on" in xorg.conf, X server craps out with an error).

I'm not even sure what the benefit would be of having true xinerama,
but I feel there probably is some benefit compared to the simple
xrandr method, and maybe it would make icewm Just Work...

Thanks,
Dave