[kde-linux] Kmail 4.082

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Jun 17 14:56:40 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 13:00:11 kde-linux-request at kde.org wrote:
> > Still cannot send mail, obviously a showstopper.
> >
> > Note that I send to localhost and exim does the work. Get a message in
> > kmail about malformed ELO. Would there be something I need to set in
> > kmail or exim to fix this/
>
> Strange.  KMail is working fine for me, both under Fedora and Mandriva.
>  How about giving us the details of your setup?  Usually, when you start to
> spell it out, you realise the tiny detail that you've been overlooking.
>  Let's hope it does, anyway :-)

OK, Running Debian Sid with experimental KDE packages.
I cannot mail out directly from kmail because my provider does not allow
relaying (what they do from a dynamic IP--they'll gladly let me pay for a
fixed one, of course). So I send mail smarthost through exim4. So the
"target" is localhost. Exim4 actually sends the message to the destination
using the provider as a "smarthost".

Both the rejection of "relaying" (direct through the provider) and the ELO
(localhost) come immediately with the message remaining in outbox.