[kde-linux] Encoding questions (Chusslove Illich)

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:29:35 UTC 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008 08:14 am, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> The encoding for the merriam-webster page seems to be
> iso8859-1.

One thing I noticed the other day, but forgot to mention:  Yes, there is
something on that page that seems to say the page is encoded in iso8859-1:

But elsewhere on the same page there are lines that suggest that at least some
part of it might be encoded in utf-8:

google_afs_ie     = 'utf8';                  // select input encoding scheme
google_afs_oe     = 'utf8';                  // select output encoding scheme

My guess is that the definition is fetched from some database and displayed
using utf-8.  (On the other hand, maybe the utf-8 is only for google ads or
similar displayed on that page?)  (A further guess is that, if the
pronunciation key were displayed in iso-8859-1 ...

Well, wait--the one clue I have is that if I C&P the definition from konqueror
to kate, with kate changed to a font that can display the correct glyphs (the
upside down e, for example), the pronunciation key is displayed correctly in
kate.  Would that work if the encoding on the konqueror page was iso-8859-1,
or only if it was utf-8?  I'm not sure, and don't desperately need to know at
the moment. ;-)

Just for reference, here is a C&P of the pronunciation "key" from one m-w page
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligent):

Pronunciation: \in-ˈte-lə-jənt\

I guess I just wanted to note that there is some uncertaintly, at least in my
mind, as to whether the definition on the m-w.com pages is encoded in
iso-8859-1 or utf-8.  If it is encoded in iso-8859-1, could it be displayed
properly if C&P'd into kate?

Randy Kramer