[kde-linux] Encoding questions

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Jun 9 00:35:47 UTC 2008

> [: Randy Kramer :]
> I've been having some problems with what I'd call encoding issues for
> quite some time, I finally decided to tackle them.

> * some characters don't show up properly in konqueror. [...]
> [...]
> * when I copy and paste stuff like that into kate it still shows up as
> blocks [...]

This is most likely the font missing glyphs, rather than issues with
encoding; if it were encoding issue, you wouldn't be seeing blocks, but some
letter-garbage.

Try with the ubiquitous DejaVu family (Serif/Sans/Monospace), which has a
rather complete glyph set. At least I'm seeing your pronunciation example
correctly with them.

> The encoding on kate was [...] changed them both to utf-8 [...]
> [...]
> * many times when I copy and paste stuff from konqueror into kate and then
> to to save the file, I get the message:

> "The selected encoding cannot encode every unicode character in this
> document. Do you really want to save it? There could be some data lost."

This is quite strange, since you have set Kate to UTF-8 explicitly. How
about trying under a different, pristine account?

Also, you might want to check if the system locale, as KDE session sees it,
is set properly. Execute "env > envlist.txt" in minicli (Alt+F2), and in the
envlist.txt file that got created in your home directory, look up variables
LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL. At least one of them should be set, and to a locale
which contains UTF-8 in its name. If not, check which files your distro
sources on session start (e.g. ~/.bashrc), and set a locale by exporting
e.g. LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 (LC_ALL has the highest priority). For the list of
existing locales on your system, use "locale -a".

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)