[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 Apps work in KDE 4.1?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:05:28 UTC 2008

2008/7/31 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>

> On Thursday 31 July 2008 09:52 am, Beso wrote:
> > if you have the needed deps installed then they'd have no problem
> working.
> > the problems might arise when apps went from 3.5 to 4.1 and your distro
> > doesn't use the slotted installation. for example gentoo splits the 2
> > versions into completely different locations on disk so you might
> continue
> > to use whatever of the 2 versions you preffer. but other distros don't
> use
> > this same approach. you could recreate this by manually building the 4.1
> > branch and by setting a completely different location for it (for example
> > /usr/kde/4.1/ and /usr/kde/4.1/libs as gentoo does) if your distro
> doesn't
> > support both versions installed. i'm currently switching from 4-trunk to
> > 3.5.9 whenever i'd like. i also can use kde4 apps into 3.5 environment.
> so,
> > if you have the right deps you can run both versions and run programs
> from
> > one version or another based on the one you like more.
>
> Thanks, everybody, for the responses!
>
> My takeaway then is that (for me) it is basically distro dependent.  (I say
> that because I am unlikely to install KDE 4,x other than by a distro
> upgrade,
> or really, a new install.)
>
> Randy Kramer

i'd advice you to try out some live cd or you could try out the opensuse 11
on another partition. this distro installs the system and kde4 in less than
10mins. the problems is that you'll just have to add the kde4.1 repo to your
update repos and then do an update that will take some time. i don't know of
another distro that is coming with a prepackaged 4.1 installation and for
that you might have to wait for one or 2 months. though, the kde4 included
into opensuse 11 is very good and i've played with it for some time, but is
still a little behind the trunk version that i'm using on my other gentoo
box.
also if you have an nvidia board i'd tell you to stay with the 3.5 version
since kde4 has some window switching issues with this vendor's boards. and
until nvidia would correct this issues (as well as the 2d accel slowness)
maybe it's best not to go with kde4.

--
dott. ing. beso