[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 Apps work in KDE 4.1?

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 14:24:27 UTC 2008

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>
> One of the reviews I read on the KDE 4.1 release said that, so far as he knew
> "all applications written for KDE 3.5 will continue running on 4.x".  I
> wasn't aware of that--is it a true statement?

In my experience this is only partly true.  Stand alone apps seem to run fine.  However, things that run in the system tray are problematic.  I've had no problem if I run 4.1 in a second X session where both 3.5.9 and 4.1 are running for the same user.  If I run only 4.1, there are problems.

Knetload and guidance-power-manager launch (I can see the processes), but don't appear in the 4.1 tray
smb4k and amarok launch to a full window but won't go to the tray.

Also, I can't install any of the plasmoids on kde-look.org, even those stated to be for 4.1 and not 4.0.x, so I still can't get to the full 3.5.9 functionality.  That said, 4.1 is actually usable, unlike 4.0.

Paul