[kde-linux] Dolphin vs. Konqueror

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jul 7 14:03:09 UTC 2008

Although I do not see a tree view, I find that dolphin as offered in
kubuntu to date is more useful than it first appeared, and I will not

I have set my dolphin for details, and I can easily see the full
location, even though, like you, I have not got quite the same options.

My settings are

Settings>configure Dolphin>General>details
(optional click on the Browse/Edit Location button which is just to
the left of the Home icon, (just above the Name Heading)).
View>left sidebar (only)

If I am doing simple file transfers I use the split screen.

I was initially dismayed at being presented with dolphin, but I stayed
with it to try to find out why it had been introduced. I  know now. It
is a simple, fairly lightweight app which can be used with minimum
confusion.
I am happy with Dolphin an dI trust it will remain a simple lean app.

G. A. Gallup wrote:
> Dear Anne,
>     My Dolphin 'view' doesn't have these options.  I guess kubuntu
> 8.04 has a really old Dolphin. It is release 0.6.0 of 2006.  I'll
> investigate upgrades.
> GAG
>
> Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
>
>> On Sunday 06 July 2008 19:20:24 G. A. Gallup wrote:
>>> Greetings All:
>>>     A number of posts have been made recently concerning Dolphin vs.
>>> Konqueror as file managers.  I have normally used Konqueror and its
>>> navigation panel very heavily, always in the 'details' view.  I have
>>> not figured out how to do this sort of thing in Dolphin,(as shipped in
>>> Kubuntu 8.04), particularly to make the details view the default and
>>> to stick to through folder changes.  Is an upgrade necessary, or is
>>> this part of the present chaos arising from going to KDE 4?
>>>
>> The setting is View > Navigation Bar > Show Full Location.  After that, you
>> might see whether Settings > View Modes > Use common view properties for all
>> folders will give you what you want.  I think it will.
>>
>> Anne

alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391
Linux user #360648