[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Fri Jul 4 18:57:51 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

On Friday 04 July 2008 14:13, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 13:54:33 Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I might have read the wrong things, but it wasn't until after
> > KDE4 was released that I started to see the "caveats" that warned
> > that KDE4 was not complete nor really ready for the ordinary
> > user.
>
> Yes, you read the wrong things, or none at all.
>
> > What "ordinary" user wants to transition to a new <anything> that
> > has fewer features than the old, except in very specific cases
> > where those missing features have been identified and are
> > features he doesn't want to use?
>
> Have you really so little experience that you don't know about
> version x.0 of anything?  I've been in computing since the 80's and
> it has always been so.  .0 is 'mostly working, but you'll have some
> problems'.  The only question is in how early in the .0 tree you
> get it to a wider audience.  M$ use vendors as beta testers, I
> understand.  FOSS don't have that benefit. They use volunteer
> users.  No-one makes you use this early version.
>
> I'm going to start ignoring totally unproductive messages like this
> one.
>
> Anne

Anne,   I think you are missing the point.   The user expectation of
KDE 4  was based on the hype that was created by the announcement of
what it would be, compared to what was actually presented !   Now we
are saying "but wait until the next version increment" !   What was
promised in 4.0  might come in 4.1 or 4.2 or or or !

The users expectations were very high based on what was offered !
Users are now realising their disappointment !   Its like offering a
kid a bag of candy and giving them one piece !

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.