[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 15:01:15 UTC 2008

Anne (and all),

I'm sorry if I offended you.  I was looking for a post to respond to where my
comments wouldn't be 100% OT, and wasn't trying to specifically respond to
your words.

On Friday 04 July 2008 09:13 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 13:54:33 Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I might have read the wrong things, but it wasn't until after KDE4 was
> > released that I started to see the "caveats" that warned that KDE4 was not
> > complete nor really ready for the ordinary user.
> >
> Yes, you read the wrong things, or none at all.

Well, I read slashdot regularly, and quite a bit of other stuff both on the
web and off, so I wonder how I missed it?

Plus, I do remember some "media types" (without remembering their names) (or,
at the least, apparently respected bloggers who came to my attention) who
started hyping kde4 without any caveats--apparently they didn't get the
message.

> > What "ordinary" user wants to transition to a new <anything> that has
fewer
> > features than the old, except in very specific cases where those missing
> > features have been identified and are features he doesn't want to use?
>
> Have you really so little experience that you don't know about version x.0
of
> anything?  I've been in computing since the 80's and it has always been
> so.  .0 is 'mostly working, but you'll have some problems'.  The only
> question is in how early in the .0 tree you get it to a wider audience.  M$
> use vendors as beta testers, I understand.  FOSS don't have that benefit.
> They use volunteer users.  No-one makes you use this early version.

I built my first computer (from a kit) in 1976.  I've programmed computers (at
various levels) since 1968.

You may remember from some earlier message exchanges with you on a list,
(probably this one, but it might have been some other list, for example a
Mandriva list to which we both subscribe) that I did not plan to make a
transition to kde4 for several years yet (for a variety of reasons, but
including the general problem of .0 releases).

The problem isn't what *I* expected, but what the "ordinary user" expected,
based on the "media"--why are we hearing all these complaints about kde4
being incomplete if "everyone" got the message?

> I'm going to start ignoring totally unproductive messages like this one.

Randy Kramer