[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:12:03 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 July 2008 14:25:52 Andreas Demmer wrote:
> Anne Wilson schrieb am Friday 04 July 2008 um 15:13:35 Uhr:
> > I've been in computing since the 80's and it has always been
> > so.  .0 is 'mostly working, but you'll have some problems'.
>
> I totally agree. Nevertheless, I was pretty concerned about the state of
> KDE4.0 in the early release candidates, way too many bugs and way to few
> features. I could not even work for 10 minutes without a serious crash
> which screwed up the whole desktop.

Maybe you got in earlier than I did.  I installed Fedora Rawhide a few weeks
before it become F9.  I think the initial kde was 4.0.3.  Too few features, I
agree, although I would not have liked to be made to wait 6 months for the
next release before seeing KDE 4.  The crashes surprise me, though.  I've
just occasionally had an application crash, but not often, and never
affecting anything else.  I guess there are too many variables to know why
this happened to you.

> But several weeks later, the 4.1 beta 2
> has matured in a breathtaking speed: I use it for 3 weeks now (starting
> from beta 1) and its pretty stable with a great joy of use. The developers
> have done (and are still doing) an amazing job. Two thumbs up! :-)

I'm so looking for ward to it :-)