[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:22:04 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 July 2008 02:19 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's the easiest thing in the world to write at length about what others
> should do.  What's needed is the willingness to join a team to write things
> up.

This probably isn't quite the appropriate place to make these comments, but it
should work ;-)

I'm not particularly interested in helping to write a User's guide to KDE at
this point in time.  This is for a variety of reasons, some irrelevant to
this point (busy with other things, including trying to do some development,
but to busy to even get very far with that).

My point is that I was very interested in helping to write a KDE (and/or
Linux) user's manual when I was trying to learn KDE (and Linux).  That sounds
a little strange, maybe, but what I mean is that when I wanted to learn how
to use something and couldn't find anything out about it, I was very willing
to do things like write (perhaps with rather poor grammar and organization)
what I (think I might have) learned so far, and what my current stumbling
block was, in a public form, hoping to have someone else step in, review what
I'd written, set me straight, and then, between the two of us, perhaps,
revise my original writeup to at least include the answer.

Eventually others could rewrite the entire document (dealing with one topic /
problem) into a better organized document, and (maybe) others could organize
these documents into a coherent whole.

My point is, that I believe it will help a lot to recruit some members of the
target audience to participate in the process--see what their questions are,
let them review what gets written to see if it meets their needs, ...

And, use a wiki in the process, and maybe even one of the "final"
products. ;-)

Randy Kramer