[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 06:23:01 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 22:22:06 Tony Alfrey wrote:
> David J Iannucci wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:34:21 -0600, "Kevin M Coonan MD" said:
> >> Needs to be published, in print, with pretty color pictures, and an
> >> on-line website with updates. [....] But it needs to show up in the
> >> computer book section in all major retail outlets.  If you build
> >> it...and nobody ever hears about it...
> >
> > Never gonna happen - you know that. As I think someone said a few
> > messages ago, things just change too fast.
>
> Approx 9 years ago Dennis Powell wrote "Practical KDE".  It was a very
> thick book and it must have taken forever to write.  Very good format,
> graphics, examples, pictures, everything.
>
> Must have been current for about 6 months.
> Want my copy?

Maybe that was the one that I bought.  It was so out of date that I had to
throw it away.  A sheer waste of money, despite all his efforts.  A situation
like that wouldn't help the popularity of kde.

Why are there all those books about Windows OSs?  Well, look how long each one
is around, virtually without change.  It's a totally different ball-game.

Much more useful would be a simplistic introduction that tells the potential
user where to find up-to-date information.