[kde-linux] Decop and KDE4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 4 00:11:39 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008, David Baron wrote:
> In the very early alphas, running a kde3 applet like ksensors would play
> havoc with the panel. More recent builds up to the first "beta", they all
> work just fine.

This is most likely a misunderstanding on my side, but a KDE3 applet (as in
panel applet) needs the KDE3 panel since it is basically a panel
plugin/extension.

> On start up, ksensors, kalsamix and such will simply freeze midway--their
> ghost windows are on the desktop and they will not minimize and dock to the
> panel. They work, however. Kmail may 1) not come up at all, 2) come up
> working but not dock. 3) two instances.

I take it you are talking about applications which have the option of closing
their window and keep a system tray icon as their only GUI, right?

As far as I know there have been some issues with system tray (sometime also
referred to as notification area) and a couple of related fixes.
Though they should only affect the tray portion, no idea why the application
startup is causing you problems.

> If I go to a shell and kill dcopserver, I can restart all this stuff and
> have it work 100%. Worst case, I may have to start dcopserver manually
> after restoring user ownership to .ICEauthoriy which had set to root.

This is strange, only a process running as root (or being suid root) can do
that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring