[kde-linux] Kmail Problems. Was: Installing KDE4 on Sid

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Wed Jan 30 22:19:33 UTC 2008

Hi Anne, Kevin,

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 20:49, Kevin Krammer inscribed thus:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 January 2008 19:20:53 Gaffer. wrote:
> > > I found that I could reproduce the problem by unplugging the
> > > network cable so that the network disappeared just after a mail
> > > check had been done.
> > >
> > > I am becoming convinced that there is some kind of software
> > > race condition involved, since when the problem happens the
> > > mail involved either disappears or is not deleatable other than
> > > going into .kmail and removing them and the indexes manually.
> > >
> > > Its been a frustrating day !  ;-)
> >
> > It sounds a really bad one.  I think you really have to get onto
> > a SuSE mailing list, to see whether anyone else is having
> > problems like this.  I haven't seen anyone else on this or the
> > other lists that I subscribe to, so maybe it really is a SuSE
> > problem.  Keep us up to date?
>
> If I remember correctly, SUSE has some patches for KDE3 for
> something called "Network status", i.e. have applications react to
> changes in the "online" state of a system, e.g. to avoid repeated
> failure warnings if a server couldn't be reached.
>
> It is probably not detecting the offline->online change correctly.

I know nothing of these "Network status" patches!  Online updates was
a possibility until today.  I haven't allowed any to be installed on
the test machine.

I tend to agree that what you suggest is in the right ballpark.

> I agree with Anne that it is probably best to try asking on a SUSE
> support channel.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

You are right!  I'll see if I can get further with SuSE.  Thanks for
listening, its appreciated.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.