[kde-linux] Kmail Problems. Was: Installing KDE4 on Sid

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:01:58 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 20:37:56 Gaffer. wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> I've changed the thread name to something more in keeping.
>
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 20:16, Anne Wilson inscribed thus:
> > On Tuesday 29 January 2008 19:50:40 Gaffer. wrote:
> > > To be honest I don't like Gnome either, but there are so many
> > > issues cropping up at the moment, in particular the sudden
> > > refusal by Kmail to send any mail at all following automatic
> > > updates.
> >
> > Don't take this wrong, but it doesn't sound like a kde issue at
> > all...
>
> I'm not convinced.
>
> > > It is not affecting all my clients, only a few.  Unfortunately I
> > > have not been able to pin down any particular cause yet.
> >
> > If kde were to blame, wouldn't all your clients be affected?
>
> Most of my affected clients are disparate individuals spread across a
> wide ranging age group.  One is in their 90's,  But I agree that they
> are only a small proportion of the total.

I'd totally discount age - age and wisdom are  unrelated :-)

> > You may have covered some of this in another thread, so please bear
> > with me, when I ask you to update us.  Can you define 'clients' -
> > in terms of whether they are all on separate boxes or some are
> > users on one box - specifically whether those that do/don't have
> > problems share a box, and any other physical possibilities of
> > similar circumstances.
> >
> > Can you give us a summary of your attempts to track it down?  It
> > may give us some ideas to help you.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Common factors:-
>
> The only ones that are affected are using SuSE 10.3  (could just be a
> SuSE problem).

Sounds a bit like it.  Have you talked about this on a SuSE-user list?  Have
you searched their bug list?

> All the ones affected are using "Talktalk or Onetel" as their ISP.

Do any unaffected ones use either of those?

> A clean re-install of 10.3 clears the problem until the machine
> updates via the "opensuseupdater"
>
> Putting their Login/Password into a laptop running SuSE 10.2 on their
> own connection allows normal operation.

Both of those seem to point to a SuSE bug.

> Not all users are affected.  at the moment I have 8 who are.  Another
> 4 are temporarily using web mail as a fix.

Are they all using 10.3?

> On a couple of machines I found that IPV6 had been turned on, but
> turning it off made no difference.  I did find that turning IPV6 on
> did stop Email working and screwed up web browsing for me, so I
> assume it would for others.
>
> I think thats about it.

IPv6 has been known to cause problems, but it doesn't always.  It's probably
wiser to turn it off while troubleshooting.

I think you are going to get your best help from the SuSE lists, but perhaps
our conversation will help you put together a good report for them.  Of
course, if a bug has been reported there may also be a work-around while an
update is being prepared.  How long has this been going on?