[kde-linux] Kmail Problems. Was: Installing KDE4 on Sid

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Tue Jan 29 20:37:56 UTC 2008

Hi Anne,

I've changed the thread name to something more in keeping.

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 20:16, Anne Wilson inscribed thus:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 19:50:40 Gaffer. wrote:
> > To be honest I don't like Gnome either, but there are so many
> > issues cropping up at the moment, in particular the sudden
> > refusal by Kmail to send any mail at all following automatic
> > updates.
>
> Don't take this wrong, but it doesn't sound like a kde issue at
> all...

I'm not convinced.

> > It is not affecting all my clients, only a few.  Unfortunately I
> > have not been able to pin down any particular cause yet.
>
> If kde were to blame, wouldn't all your clients be affected?

Most of my affected clients are disparate individuals spread across a
wide ranging age group.  One is in their 90's,  But I agree that they
are only a small proportion of the total.

> You may have covered some of this in another thread, so please bear
> with me, when I ask you to update us.  Can you define 'clients' -
> in terms of whether they are all on separate boxes or some are
> users on one box - specifically whether those that do/don't have
> problems share a box, and any other physical possibilities of
> similar circumstances.
>
> Can you give us a summary of your attempts to track it down?  It
> may give us some ideas to help you.
>
> Anne

Common factors:-

The only ones that are affected are using SuSE 10.3  (could just be a
SuSE problem).

All the ones affected are using "Talktalk or Onetel" as their ISP.

A clean re-install of 10.3 clears the problem until the machine
updates via the "opensuseupdater"

Putting their Login/Password into a laptop running SuSE 10.2 on their
own connection allows normal operation.

Not all users are affected.  at the moment I have 8 who are.  Another
4 are temporarily using web mail as a fix.

On a couple of machines I found that IPV6 had been turned on, but
turning it off made no difference.  I did find that turning IPV6 on
did stop Email working and screwed up web browsing for me, so I
assume it would for others.

I think thats about it.

--
Best Regards: