[kde-linux] Installing KDE4 on Sid

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jan 28 19:43:02 UTC 2008

Dale wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Dale wrote:

>>> I ran into a issue and had to remove it from mine.  Couldn't change the
>>> login screen and make it accept the changes.  Worked fine after removing
>>> KDE4 tho.
>>>
>> Try it under VirtualBox - then when it goes south, your main system
>> still works. ;-)
>
> Everything still worked fine, it just wouldn't let me have a clock
> instead of the blue KDE gear thingy.  I like my clock on there.

My clock works in KDE3, right where I like it.

>>> It looked cool tho.
>>>
>> I think that's the real reason behind KDE4. Mac OS X and Windows Vista
>> look cooler than KDE3, so we must out-cool them!
>>
>> All the eye candy the kde.org site raves about so much is something I've
>> hated for years. Transparency in windows and/or applications just makes
>> everything harder to read and increases screen clutter, for instance.
>>
>> I don't disagree with the migration to a better underlying graphics kit,
>> but that could have been done without screwing with the UI or tossing in
>> what look to me like pretty poor design ideas ... I think that *KDE4
>> would be finished, out the door and stable* already if they hadn't
>> decided with mangle the UI ... Oh, well. Will a KDE update replacing
>> KDE3 with KDE4 someday force itself on me? If so, methinks Microsoft is
>> having a lot of unintended influence on the open source community!
>>
>> I already had to lock my samba versions because of the maintainer's
>> refusal to allow people to use unauthenticated shares without causing a
>> kernel panic. Microsoft is not the only software place around that can
>> be characterized as arrogant.
>
> It seems to me that KDE is trying to improve

I don't think they're trying to "improve." They're just trying to LOOK
like everybody else. Grr. FWIW, I don't consider the things from the
other OSes that they're imitating to be improvements in those OSes, either.

> just like everybody else is
> doing.  M$, Apple and everybody else does it so why not KDE?  I always
> thought it was M$ that stole from Linux tho.  Tab browsing came to mind
> on that.  Linux been doing that for ages then finally M$ grows a pair
> and gets it too.

Actually, I first met tabs as part of OS/2's desktop environment.

> I'm looking forward to it going stable and having all the features
> enabled/working myself.

Yah, about KDE4.5, I think. ;-)

--
David