[kde-linux] Installing KDE4 on Sid

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jan 28 07:59:40 UTC 2008

Dale wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Werner Joss wrote:
>>> p.s.:
>>> it seems there are not many people on this list who have already switched to
>>> kde4, thus few responses on this.
>>>
>> And the more I read about it and look at it on the kde.org website, the
>> less I see any reason whatsoever to use it.
>
> I ran into a issue and had to remove it from mine.  Couldn't change the
> login screen and make it accept the changes.  Worked fine after removing
> KDE4 tho.

Try it under VirtualBox - then when it goes south, your main system
still works. ;-)

> It looked cool tho.

I think that's the real reason behind KDE4. Mac OS X and Windows Vista
look cooler than KDE3, so we must out-cool them!

All the eye candy the kde.org site raves about so much is something I've
hated for years. Transparency in windows and/or applications just makes
everything harder to read and increases screen clutter, for instance.

I don't disagree with the migration to a better underlying graphics kit,
but that could have been done without screwing with the UI or tossing in
what look to me like pretty poor design ideas ... I think that *KDE4
would be finished, out the door and stable* already if they hadn't
decided with mangle the UI ... Oh, well. Will a KDE update replacing
KDE3 with KDE4 someday force itself on me? If so, methinks Microsoft is
having a lot of unintended influence on the open source community!

I already had to lock my samba versions because of the maintainer's
refusal to allow people to use unauthenticated shares without causing a
kernel panic. Microsoft is not the only software place around that can
be characterized as arrogant.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com