[kde-linux] KDE & removable media pop-up messages {sigh}

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Jan 25 16:10:33 UTC 2008

KDE & removable media pop-up messages {sigh}

Hello, I'm a linux user. Have been for several years. I'm not exactly a
programmer nor am I an expert admin. I just want to use it to do stuff.
I chose kde as my gui desktop a long time ago. Over the years it has
mostly improved. For this I'd like to say thanks to any and all who
work on it!

Thanks!

Some things do bug me however. One is the default behavior of whatever
daemon process it is that wants to automatically mount/play or otherwise
do anything at all with a removable media such as a cd just because I
put it in the drive.

I know I've found out how to stop it before. Otherwise my FC6 and
Kubuntu {edgy} installations would be ticking me off on a daily basis.

But I'll be danged if I can remember how I turned it off the last time.
(some times I think I must suffer from CRS {see below} grin) All I know
is that there never seems to be an easy to find configuration option to
tell it to NEVER automount, autoplay, autoload, or autoexecute
anything EVER! (I browse filesystems with mc in a konsole and simply use
the mount/umount commands as needed. And if I want to play or clone a cd
or dvd, I'd prefer the system wait for me to get around to deciding
which application I want to use this time, and explicitly launch it
myself.

I recently had an issue with this in sabayon on my laptop. I wanted to
burn a music cd. I had built a project with all the songs I wanted on it
in k3b. But when I'd try to burn the project to a blank cd-r it would
start writing to the cd, then some media daemon would detect a new music
cd and want to know what I wanted to do with it. Then k3b would report a
write access error and the former blank cd would be a coaster. Some kind
soul in the sabayon forum kindly suggested I go to [ control center
- -peripherals - storage media ] go through the list of media types, and
for each one select do nothing, and click the "toggle as auto action"
button. I did that. and it seamed to work. I burned my music project and
the pop-ups stopped bugging me.  But a few days later I booted sabayon
again to burn the kubuntu 7.10 live install iso image I'd downloaded the
previous day. I didn't get any pop-ups but at just about the same point
in the process, k3b had write access errors and made another coaster.
(several of them actually) I know it's not the hardware cause All I had
to do was to boot the kubuntu 6.10 installation on the same laptop, fire
up k3b and burn the same iso file using the same [ tools -Burn CD image ]
dialog and it immediately made the cd that I just installed kubuntu 7.10
on my venerable p3 desktop with.

Could be that the issue on sabayon isn't the storage media auto action
settings, but I'm nervous about trying the same technique to ditch the
annoying pop-ups on kubuntu 7.10 which I still need to upgrade the
laptop to. And I'm past due on upgrading my fedora core 6 installations
with the fc8 install dvd.

Can some kind soul tell me a reliable/safe way to turn off all auto
mounting/playing/executing/notification actions on any newly
inserted/detected media???  I promise to save it someplace where I
{hopefully} will still be able to find it next time.

Or is this something that is going to require a different method on each
linux distro and/or release anyway?

Any/all clues/how-to urls welcomed. (;-{)#

Thanks

* CRS : "Can't Remember Sh^Htuff" : In my case this mean that unless I
* do something the same way every day for a LONG time, or have examples
* of how I did it before (where I can still find them), I usually wind up
* scratching my head the next time I need to do a non-daily task.

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   #gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 0x6C2163DE#
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #