[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:48:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 Jan 2008, david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I don't think that's a fair comment.
>
> I do.

I never blame someone else for what I did.

> I stayed back from the edge for a long while, until things started
> to happen where what should have been simple updates broke things and
> the only way to fix it was to either (1) reinstall the system, or (2)
> update to the edge. Since then, I've pretty much run on the edge on this
> laptop. (The server doesn't run on the edge.)

"I've pretty much run on the edge on this laptop" - which explains a lot.

> > I have always avoided upgrades, knowing
> > that problems like this can occur.
>
> Yup, there's a problem in CIFS right now that causes a kernel panic if
> you try to mount more than one share at the same time. Since I regularly
> mount at least two shares, I'm holding off on updates ...

I regularly have more than one share mounted.  No problems.

It appears that my experiments with groupware were entirely to blame for the
problems I've had.  Absolutely everything appears to be working again now
that I've turned that off.

As I said, I never blame someone else for what I do.